Friday, March 07, 2008

a message from the past

Just read the news that a rare photograph of a young Helen Keller with her teacher Anne Sullivan has been uncovered recently.

While it was inspiring to learn how Anne Sullivan had helped Helen Keller to communicate while being blind and deaf, it didn't leave much of an impression on me until I came to the part quoted below;

"Jan Seymour-Ford, a research librarian at the Perkins School for the Blind in Watertown, which both Sullivan and Keller attended, said she was moved to see how deeply connected the women were, even in 1888.

"The way Anne is gazing so intently at Helen, I think it's a beautiful portrait of the devotion that lasted between these two women all of Anne's life," Seymour-Ford said."


I took a look at the picture again ... and it looked so much different to me now ... it suddenly felt more emotional and I begun to realize how important the discovery was

and since this is my blog and being so self centered, of cos it has bearings to what happen to me recently

recently, I was packing my stuff and uncover my old scuba diving records... along with it, I discovered a Shrek 2 movie post card with a message on it. It had a date and a light hearted reminder of what I already (should have) know(n) ... and it left with a P.S remark ...

it was left unsigned but I remembered who wrote it ... of all the messages I remembered where I kept, this one came out of no where and actually sank my heart like an anchor.

it felt awfully bittersweet ... although the writer might not even remember the message anymore but at some point of time, it was a simple manner of telling me how much I mattered in the writer's life. of course this silly o fool took everything for granted and it was swept away like one of those sweet nothings.

It's only after the lesson learnt and now taking a second look .... I realize how important those small things are in life ... I hope that I have truly learnt the lesson of not taking other people's feelings for granted or all I have left in the end, will be filled with tangible records of what were lost.

No comments: