Wednesday, August 01, 2007

I've been "Cured"

After one sleepless night and fussing over a irritating problem, this is it ... finally the meet & greet the band session at the indoor stadium .... something that I never done before

6.30pm
Meet up with the replacement for the friend that I was supposed to bring to meet the Cure. Turned out that guy was a French. Very friendly and been to the Cure concert many times in Europe but never this close. Turned out that he couldn't sleep as he waited for my reply (and me on the other hand waited for other's last confirmation and couldn't reply him till this morning). We chatted for a while and realized that both of us will be too excited to actually ask the band any questions at all. He mentioned that there will be other people from the cure live in Singapore forum that will be coming for this meet n greet and they had already prepared some questions so we just tag along behind them.

7pm
Went up to the Admin Office to meet the organiser and turn out that she was just looming beside us. After tagging us, told us to wait, while she locates the other winners and my "replacement buddy" found those other winners from the forum.



7.15pm
Then Organiser came and gave us what felt like was a rather bad news.

It was going to be one group photo and one autograph item per person...

Everyone in "my" group got that WTF look ... yeah we were expecting for more and was hopping to at least have 2 pax per photo with the group. some even brought a bag full of items for them to sign on ... so you can imagine our disappointment ... and we were told to wait another 15 mins ... it just get drag on n on ...

7.30pm-ish
Finally ... the moment we been waiting for!!!

We were led into a dressing room and were instructed to lay out our "one" item each by the dressing table. Then we were asked to stand on my side to wait for the band to arrive so we can have our quick photo with the band and they can proceed to signing our stuff ....

Initially, I just placed my cd for them to sign but I realized something ... the organiser didn't check the number of items that are actually placed on the dressing table so I went back and took out the cd album cover, placing it beside the cd. Hopping that the band member will just sign on it too ....

and if I was caught placing 2 items, my excuse would be that I'm just giving the band the option to sign one of the items that they prefer : )

and then it happened ... the door open and the band mates came in ... surprise surprise ... they are extremely friendly. Shook our hands and even introduce themselves ... We were still very "compose" until Robert Smith came into the room ...

the grandeur of it all ...
The funny thing was that he was rather quiet and reserved with manners like a school teacher, and asking the organiser question like a general would to his captain. Quite the opposite I would have expected from rock legend like Robert Smith.

After inspecting, our organiser quickly arrange the band and the fans for a quick group picture ... while getting in place, i saw Robert Smith standing about a couple person away from me and facing me, seeing that it was a great opportunity, I extended my arm out for a handshake and he gracefully shook my hand ... it was the first highlight of the day for me



(Group Photo UP)
One of the band member stood so far at the back that he got block by me


and the other cheeky band member decided to join in the hide and seek ... pretending that it doesn't matter if they are not in the picture ... tsk tsk tsk

(Organiser just posted the group picture to us on Friday)

Robert Smith then proceed to sign stuff while , Starting from stuff near my CD... I think at that point, my training as an Mx Reporter kicks in and I started snapping shots like what I use to
... one of my fave shot .. hehe can u spot me in this pic ?? hehehe

as Robert Smith come close to the end of line of things to sign on, I saw the golden opportunity ... no organiser nearby ... no bouncer nearby ... so I gave my trusty hp camera to another fan and asked her to snap a pic of me with Robert Smith ... and Robert Smith was nice enough to agree to that ...
the picture of the day !!!!

then other fans start chatting up with him ...

sensing that was an opportunity, I took a The Cure Postcard and waited for him to finish before asking him to sign for me so I can give it to the nice DJ that picked me for the greet session ... in which he was nice enough to obliged again ...

after which, I tried to snap some pic for my replacement buddy with Robert Smith but somehow, it never happened and the best shot I got for him was this one

8pm
Shortly after that, the band was lead out and we followed, leaving for our seats in the concert.

8.15pm
Concert Starts ... this is one of the one time concert I ever attend ... I think it was because the band wanted to cover as much material as possible so they started early ... Robert Smith also mention that it will be a 3 hours concert ... HOO WEE!

as expected ... there are songs that I am not familiar with and the night before, I already knew that I prefer the quieter songs from the Cure so the songs played wasn't really my favourite ...

but when they played Friday I'm in Love ... it was the highlight of the show ... the whole crowd got into it ...

okie audio not that great n cant really see much but hey can you feel the energy?

which was followed by Just Like Heaven ... 2 super tracks back to back ...

same audio n video quality as above but hey ... its for keepsake

I believe they also had The Drowning Man, a quieter song which I liked too ...

at the end of it, 3 hours and 2 encore later ... Robert Smith looked unwilling to leave the stage and kept turning back, pausing and looking at the crowd while he left ... It really felt that he love to perform and gave all out for his fans...

11.30pm
Taking the bus back ... I was kinda surprise to find that not that many people take the bus back, folks nowadays all take cab and there was long queue of booked taxi waiting outside the stadium ... everyone so rich nowadays ...

11.45pm
Bounty Time !!!

Finally I get to inspect what I got from the meet & greet session ...

seems like I am missing one autograph here ... as compared to the CD below
yeah... I got 2 items signed instead of 1 ...

Overall, it's been an amazing experience for me ... it was late but somehow I wasn't able to sleep and strangely, I played the cd as tho I haven't gotten enough of the Cure yet : )

No comments: