Monday, February 25, 2008

My Pick for 08 Oscar

Best Picture
Haiz ... my heart is with Juno, followed by There Will Be Blood but it seems that it will be an upset that No Country for Old Men didn't win ... so
No Country for Old Men

BEST DIRECTOR
Just as difficult to choose as Best Picture .... my heart is with Julian Schnabel - The Diving Bell & the Butterfly , Jason Reitman - Juno & Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood but as again .... I think it will go to
Joel & Ethan Coen - No Country for Old Men

BEST ACTOR
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Even before watching his performance, my hunch was already on Daniel Day-Lewis and after catching There will be Blood (and without Tommy Lee Jones or Viggo Mortensen's ones)... it's pretty much a lock on for me

BEST ACTRESS
Julie Christie - Away From Her
Like Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose & Ellen Page - Juno but based on what Stefan said, I got a feeling this award will be won by Julie Christie ...

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men
Only managed to catch Javier Bardem and Tom Wilkinson's act for this category and my bet is on Javier Bardem's unrelenting killer performance

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Between Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There & Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton ... tho I only caught Tilda Swinton's performance ... I got a feeling that Cate's portray of Bob Dylan will win this
Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Hard to choose ... tikam choice would be
No Country for Old Men

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Juno

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Ratatouille
It's the year of the Rat !!! The other one is too serious & I don't think the penguin movies will win two in a row

ACHIEVEMENT IN ART DIRECTION
could be The Golden Compass or Sweeney Todd ... will go with
Sweeney Todd

ACHIEVEMENT IN CINEMATOGRAPHY
Laggi hard to choose ... all beside The Assassination of Jesse James which I haven't got the chance to watch it yet .... I love The Diving Bell and the Butterfly or There Will Be Blood to win but I think it will be won by
No Country for Old Men

ACHIEVEMENT IN COSTUME DESIGN
Toss between La Vie en Rose & Sweeney Todd but I think I will go with
Sweeney Todd

ACHIEVEMENT IN FILM EDITING
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

ACHIEVEMENT IN MAKEUP
La Vie en Rose
PotC: AWE might just win this too ... but my tikam choice will be Rose ... would be fun to see Nobit pull an ironic upset

ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)
Atonement
I only remember the Original Score for Atonement ... partly also thanks to John's recommendation during CNY visit to his place

ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)
Didn't liked any of the Disney songs from Enchanted .. August Rush's nominated song didn't go well with me ... the only song that I dig would be
"Falling Slowly" - Once

ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND MIXING
3:10 to Yuma
Loved the intense finale with the chung-king of the steam train ... tho TF might just win this ... I'm putting bet where my heart is

ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND EDITING
Transformers

ACHIEVEMENT IN VISUAL EFFECTS
Transformers
As much as I don't like TF ... I think it will win .. or Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End might win it ... either way, an upset won't be too upsetting to me

And categories that I have yet to watch a single nominee

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
The Counterfeiters (Austria)
the only trailer I saw & very much wanted to watch it ... but Singapore don't have leh

Best Documentary, Features
Sicko

Best Documentary, Short Subjects
Freeheld

Best Short Film, Animated
Peter & the Wolf

Best Short Film, Live Action
Tanghi argentini

No comments: